Pages

Saturday 21 August 2010

A Birthday in the City of Love

Okay...so it isn't acutally my birthday, that was a few weeks ago. And really, that isn't even the birthday I want to talk about, its the one before that, 2009, my 21st.

My 21st birthday was perfect. 3 days in Paris with the BF, and my parents (who had flown over from NZ!). Croissants and Pain au Chocolat for breakfast, Crepes avec Beurre et Sucre for lunch, a gorgeous meal at Le Petit Bofinger for dinner, followed by a walk up La Tour Eiffel at midnight. It was my dream come true.


I love France and all things french. The food, the language, the cities, the people, I just can't get enough of it! My love of all things french began when I was about 11 and has continued to grow the more I have studied the language and culture. My goal one day is to become fluent and live in a beautiful french village for a couple of years, and eat pastries for breakfast and drink delicious french wine in my garden in the warm summer evenings.

So you can see why I was so thrilled with my Parisian birthday, especially as my parents were there to enjoy it with me (I hadn't seen my Dad in 18months and my Mum in a year!), not to mention the BF had never been before. It really was the most amazing birthday.

HOWEVER...not only was I thoroughly spolied, and in my most favourite city of all time, but my parents gave me the most thoughtful, wonderful gift, a piece of art.
They wanted me to have something that I would love forever, that was timeless, and sentimental. They told me to take my time in looking for something and let them know if I had any ideas.
All I knew was that I wanted it to be a New Zealand artist and for it to represent the love I have for my country. The BF and I spent a lot of time looking while we were visiting NZ over the summer (Dec - Mar) and I finally found the piece that I wanted. Unfortunately, it wasn't for sale. Not willing to give up, I contacted the artist (Kathryn Furniss) to see if there was anything else she might have that was similar. We left NZ before we heard back from her but I still didn't give up, and got my lovely Mumma to look into it.

Yesterday I was sent a picture of a piece Kathryn had for sale that she had recently finished and I fell in love, it's called 'Where I come from'....


I am so so excited that this soon might be my first piece of art and I can't stop thinking about where it could go in the house that I don't even have yet! It's everything I dreamed it would be. It's 120cm x 20cm x 7cm, so a tall skinny block painting and I can't wait to hear from my Mumma more about it, and hopefully the great news that she bought it!

I'm too excited to sit still this morning, so am off to bake some Blueberry and White Chocolate Muffins for the BFs brekkie. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I spent a lot of time in Paris back in the early days of our relationship. We were under the Eifel when the clock struck midnight on January 1, 2000 and it was such a crazy, magical way to start the new century. That's so awesome you were able to celebrate your birthday there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in Paris in High School and miss it dearly. So awesome you spent your bday there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails